After having the whole of the house re-done in the flooring department the only thing left was the carpet on the stairs. I could not have hated the stairs carpet anymore than I did. The cat had ruined it with bringing animals to eat on one particular step and the dog had decided that if she couldn't go up the stairs for the odd piss she would do it on the stairs. Coupled with 6 years of grime...the colour not great and the fact I'd scrubbed the lot and it still was below par- I was more than ready to rip it all up.
I asked the flooring guy for an estimate and he said it would be a full days work to fit a runner. I realised this would be just to fit the runner. Old knobby here would have to paint them and meanwhile he'd waltz in and leave with £250- this arrangement did not sit well with me. Couple that with the fact my ultimate stair carpet was so out of my budget it was a joke and the edging I loved was again, not in budget. We would have been racing towards £500 plus to get these done.
So one day I ripped the bad boy up and went for it with the grey paint in eggshell (Albany Eggshell Grey Friar) to match the bannisters I painted at the end of last year. It took a few coats but not many.
I ripped up the underlay but measured to leave some in the middle. I wanted the stair runner to be about 60cm in length so I roughly cut the underlay to measure 45cm and painted around it.
I had eyed up a beautiful rug from House Doctor in monochrome after a lot of searching between HM, UO etc. Then one day while in Flying Tiger UK I came across a rug I loved in pastels and neon and at £8 a rug I went for it and bought 6.
Once painted I embarked on cutting it up. I measured the width of each stair and cut enough for it to drape over the edge. I kept the tassels but wasn't going to. Reason being, when I cut into the rugs because of how they were made they started falling apart. Totally a stressful scenario.
So I ran carpet tape along the edge where I was going to cut and wrapped it over. then cut the rug. Then I cut some scraps of fabric into strips to stick to this to cover the tape. This then stopped them completely falling apart.
To attach to the stairs I placed tape either side of the left underlay, then I used an electric staple gun to attach them further.
Finally I hammered in some tacks and this has kept them in place wonderfully, though I do now need to go back over some of the fabric strips with the odd staple.